Tuesday 30 April 2013

Yellow

This is my last sentimental post.  I hope you forgive all my nostalgia.

In 2003 we went to see Coldplay in The Point on the Quays.  They were on the cusp of super-stardom and Chris Martin was enthralling with his confident swagger on the stage, as he sang his ballads.

I year later I was sitting in the car with my husband and our newborn baby.  We were doing the 'newborn crawl.' .i.e. Driving on a main road at thirty miles an hour, in a state of terror.   The baby sat obliviously, packed into his little car seat.  He was wearing a pristine white hat and a grey fleece but all I could look at were his startling, blue eyes.  I felt as if I had been hit by a train and was exhausted, terrified and jubilant, all at the same time.

Then Coldplay's song, 'Yellow,' came on the radio.  It's beautiful lyrics and tune seemed to match the moment exactly.  I looked at the radiant Meath countryside as we drove through Slane.  It was a bright October evening and the fields were dotted with sheep and huge, graceful, oak trees.  Golden light converted the green fields to a regal blanket of yellow.   I closed my eyes, enjoyed the moment and thought, 'Ok, I can do this.  I can be a parent.'



No comments:

Post a Comment